Are rooming houses allowed in a single-family zone?

No, rooming houses are only allowed in multi-family and commercial zones, however the code does allow the following when living together as a single, not-for-profit housekeeping unit:

a. A group of not more than four related and unrelated adults and their related minor children, but not to exceed a total of eight related and unrelated persons; or

b. Not more than eight disabled persons, whether adults or minors, living together in a consensual residential living arrangement, but not to exceed a total of eight persons; or

c. State licensed adult family homes as defined by RCW 70.128.010; or

d. State licensed foster family homes and group care facilities as defined in RCW 74.15.020.

Note: the state legislature passed a bill (SB 5235) in the 2021 session, which affects the city’s limitation on unrelated persons within a dwelling. Planning staff are working to understand the implications and revise city code to comply with this new state law.

Show All Answers

1. How do I find what my property is zoned?
2. Do I need City approval to remove or prune a tree?
3. How do I conduct a business from my home?
4. How can I subdivide my property?
5. How do I get on Everett's Register of Historic Places?
6. Are rooming houses allowed in a single-family zone?
7. What are the restrictions on staying in an RV or tiny home in Everett?
8. Where am I allowed to park or store my RV or tiny home?
9. How can I learn what signs are allowed on my property?
10. How do I learn about proposed developments?
11. What triggers a State Environmental Policy Act Review (SEPA)?
12. Do I need a flood hazard permit?