EVERETT, Wash. – The City of Everett is seeking volunteers who have the desire to make a positive impact on their community by serving on a board or commission. Community members are encouraged to apply for open positions on multiple boards.
“Our boards and commissions play an important role in advising me, our staff and council on a range of issues that shape our quality of life,” said Everett Mayor Cassie Franklin. “You don’t need to be an expert on the subject to volunteer, just interested in making a positive impact in our city. We welcome and encourage a diversity of perspectives and experiences. We’d love to have your voice at the table.”
Terms are two to six years and volunteers must be current residents of Everett. Franklin will review the applications and appoint volunteers for the City Council to formally approve. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, boards and commissions meetings are occurring virtually until further notice.
Interested volunteers can complete an application in English or Spanish on the City’s website at everettwa.gov/boards. Applications should be completed online by Nov. 30, 2020. For a paper application or assistance, call 425-257-7120.
- Animal Shelter Advisory Board: provides input on all aspects of animal services, including in-depth review and modification of ordinances. This board meets on the fourth Wednesday of every-other month at 5:30 p.m. Members serve six-year terms.
- Diversity Advisory Board: advises the mayor on diversity, equity and inclusion issues and activities within the city. The board meets the third Monday of most months at 4 p.m. Members serve two to four-year terms.
- Historical Commission: advises the City on matters of historic preservation, including nominating properties to the Everett Register of Historic Places, reviewing state and national register nominations, and approving projects for “special valuation” tax benefits. The commission meets the fourth Tuesday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Members serve six-year terms.
- Library Board: governs the Everett Public Library. Board members serve for five-year terms and each member serves as president during the fifth year of service. The board meets the third Tuesday of the month at 7 p.m. Members serve five-year terms.
- Planning Commission: makes recommendations to the City Council, Mayor and other City departments on the City’s broad planning, policies and long-range plans. The commission meets on the first and third Tuesdays of each month at 6:30 p.m. Members serve six-year terms.
- Salary Commission: adopts a salary schedule for City of Everett elected officials. The committee meets every other year and is required to complete its work by the first week of May. Members serve four-year terms.
- Transportation Advisory Committee: This committee advises the City on transit services, long-range transportation planning and traffic safety planning. The committee meets the third Thursday of each month at 8 a.m. Members serve six-year terms.
For more information or to apply, visit everettwa.gov/boards. For questions, please contact Julie Willie at 425-257-7120 or email@example.com.