The Everett City Council told staff that Rethink Zoning should move forward, with action scheduled for this fall. Changes in single-family neighborhoods, such as new housing types, will be put on hold until public meetings and gatherings can happen.
At the City Council briefing on June 10th, the updated Public Participation Plan for Rethink Zoning was presented. The plan was written to anticipate that, through this fall, public meetings might have limits and there needs to be alternative ways to inform and engage the public in this project. The primary ways include:
- News Flash - you are receiving this message because you are signed up for the Rethink Zoning News Flash at https://everettwa.gov/list.aspx. Pass the word to others to sign up! This is the primary method for the city to get the word out about upcoming events or important information.
- Project Website - all of the information presented to the Planning Commission and City Council is found on the project website. Go to www.everettwa.gov/rethink. Click on the Maps tab to see draft zoning and other maps. Click on the Get Involved tab to see the Public Comment Tracker. Click on the Rethink Zoning Library to find code summaries, full text of draft code chapters, and background documents.
- Public and Neighborhood Forums - Planning Commission and City Council meetings, while still operating remotely, are open for viewing and public comment. Click here for the Planning Commission’s page and here for the City Council. If any neighborhood or group of interested persons wish to meet with staff through video conferencing or other means, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Special Public Online Open House - Staff will hold two online open houses for the public to ask questions and get answers, or provide input. Additional information on getting links to the online open house will be announced through a separate News Flash issued later. If interested in attending these online open houses, they are scheduled for:
- June 29th, 6:30 p.m. -- this open house will focus on South Everett (south of 41st)
- June 30th, 6:30 p.m. -- this open house will focus on North Everett (north of 41st)
Upcoming Planning Commission Meeting
This coming Tuesday, June 16th, the Planning Commission has three public hearings scheduled and briefings on Rethink Zoning. Links to documents are below.
The Planning Commission is scheduled to receive additional Rethink Zoning briefings on July 7th and July 21st. A public hearing on Rethink Zoning is scheduled for August 18th. For more information, please contact staff at email@example.com or go to the project website at www.everettwa.gov/rethink.