Community members are invited to participate in the Rethink Housing initiative, a multi-year effort to develop a community-wide housing action plan that will include strategies for addressing the housing needs for current and future Everett residents.
Click through the arrows on this page to learn more about Rethink Housing and how to get involved. Check back often for more news and updates and sign up for email or text notifications to stay up to date.
Draft Rethink Housing Action Plan
The draft Housing Action Plan is a set of short- and long-term recommended strategies intended to address the housing needs of the community. This Plan was developed as part of the Mayoral Directive issued in December 2020. The Rethink Housing Advisory Committee will review the draft and make a recommendation to the Mayor and City Council at their meeting June 3rd at 4:00 pm. A second Committee meeting is tentatively schedule for June 10th if additional time is need to issue their recommendation. The Committee is expected to hear community comments at their meeting.
The Committee Recommended Housing Action Plan will be posted for public comment through July 2021. Additional community outreach and engagement activities will also take place during that time. The City Council is expected to take action on the Plan in September 2021. Please email or text notifications to stay up to date.
|Draft Housing Action Plan Documents|
|Draft Housing Action Plan 06-2021|
|Appendix A - Housing Needs Assessment|
|Appendix B - Community Input Report|
|Appendix C - Housing Action Plan Strategy Matrix*|
|Appendix D - Increasing Residential Building Capacity Report|
|Appendix E - Affordability and Displacement Report|
|Appendix F - Committee Meeting Notes|
Thank you for your participation!
Join the virtual Rethink Housing forum and chat series (En Español) this winter to learn about housing and homelessness issues in Everett. The process will also include community engagement activities with a series of virtual community "chat" sessions.
Virtual forums, via Everett Channel, YouTube and Facebook Live:
- Dec. 8, 6 p.m.: Housing for all with keynote speaker former Governor Christine Gregoire. Watch the recording here.
- Feb. 9, 2:30 p.m.: Everett gains a national perspective to address homelessness with keynote speaker President & CEO Nan Roman of National Alliance to End Homelessness. Watch on YouTube Live. This forum was rescheduled from Jan. 14 to Feb. 9.
- Date to be determined: Building housing with keynote speakers from for-profit and nonprofit housing developers, legislators and housing providers.
Virtual chat sessions:
- Jan. 12, 1 p.m. & Jan. 28, 6 p.m.: What do you need? Share needs, thoughts and ideas in small groups about how the City’s policies could change to better support housing for everyone, including housing and sheltering for our homeless community.
- Feb. 18, 6 p.m. & Feb. 23, 1 p.m.: Housing near transit areas. Share needs, thoughts and ideas around the possibilities of new housing near high-capacity transit corridors.
- July 29, 6 p.m. & August 12, 1 p.m.: Rethink Housing Action Plan Introduction - Learn about the Advisory Committee recommended actions and provide feedback.
- July 29 Join on your computer or mobile app Click here to join the meeting Or call in (audio only) +1 425-616-3920,,517725845# United States, Seattle Phone Conference ID: 517 725 845#
- August 12 Join on your computer or mobile app Click here to join the meeting Or call in (audio only) +1 425-616-3920,,629437842# United States, Seattle Phone Conference ID: 629 437 842#
Latest news and updates
- Dec. 8, 2020: First Rethink Housing forum on housing for all. Watch the recording here.
- Dec. 1, 2020: City announces Rethink Housing action plan forum and chat series.
- Nov. 17, 2020: Mayor Cassie Franklin issued a mayoral directive on housing for all.