Safety Assessments

Professional engineers, architects, ICC certified inspectors or plans examiners can also become certified to perform rapid building safety assessments after an emergency.  A Safety Assessment Program (SAP) has been established by the California Governors Office of Emergency Management Services (Cal OES).  Cal OES maintains a growing repository of national volunteers who can volunteer to assist a Building Official to perform damage assessments after an emergency. 

Cal OES SAP Training & Badge

SEAW or AIA offer ATC-20/45 training for Visual Screening of Buildings for Potential Seismic Hazards, that is also qualified for SAP registration with a current license or certification (PDF).    The Cascadia Region Earthquake Workgroup also offers training in the Puget Sound. 
After training and verification by a qualified SAP instructor, a photo ID badge will be issued by Cal OES to identify you as a qualified (SAP)volunteer for rapid building assessments after an emergency.

What You Need to Do

After training you will want to prepare a ready kit for potential deployment.
The City of Everett will recognize Cal OES SAP evaluators as part of post-disaster recovery operations and pre-disaster drills.

Next Steps for WA State

The Washington Association of Building Officials (WABO), SEAW, AIA, and the WA State Department of Health is working on a program to have local professional organizations deploy volunteers to support the volunteer program defined by RCW 38.52.  Mutual aid is another resource to call up other jurisdictional employees to assist in a time of need.