City Council Districts
What are districts?
While many cities in Washington elect all of their councilmembers at-large, others have chosen to establish wards or districts, in which some or all of the councilmembers are elected by and represent specific geographic areas of the city.
City Council districts were approved by Everett voters in Nov. 2018. Voters selected a total of five districts and two at-large positions.
Elections: Position 1-5 will eventually become the district positions, and positions 6 and 7 will become the at-large positions.
In 2019, there was an election for positions 4 and 5 (2-year, at-large terms) and for positions 6 and 7 (4-year, at-large terms).
2021 will be the first election by district. Candidates can run for 4-year terms in positions 1-5, representing the new districts. In 2023, there will be elections for positions 6 and 7 for 4-year, at-large terms. Find voter and election information at snohomishcountywa.gov/elections.
subtítulos en Español
Click the tabs below to learn more about the District Commission, districts and the districting process:
About the districting process
District Commission and map drawing: The commission and Districting Master Tony Fairfax have completed their work. During the process the commission worked to develop a district plan and district map. They choose core areas of the city that lay the foundation for district boundaries. They discussed draft maps and the finer boundaries of the proposed districts. The commission worked to keep neighborhoods and communities of interest as intact as possible while following the City Charter and applicable laws. In September 2020, they engaged the community and solicited feedback to support the development of the final plan. The commission settled on Map A-9.
About the Districting Commission
- Districting Plan Map A9
- 10.01,05,19 Documents
- Dist Commission Agenda 09.28.20
- 08.31.20 Districting Documents
- 8.3.20 Districting Documents
- PowerPoint 7.20.20
- 7.20.20 District Documents DRAFT
- Everett WA Districting Commission Meeting Plan A-8 July 6 2020 v3
- 7.06.20 District Document
- 6.22.20 Districting Documents
- 6.1.20 Districting Documents
- 5.4.20 District Documents
- 4.06.20 District Documents
- 02.04.20 Districting Documents
- 01.06.20 District Documents
- Districting Presentation 1.6.20
- Districting Commission Rules of Procedure 01.06.20
- 12.02.19 District Documents
- 11.18.19 District Documents
- 11.04.19 Everett Districting Commission
- 10.14.19 District Documents
- Dist Commission Presnetation 10.14.19
- District Master Portfolio Anthony Fairfax CencusChannel LLC
- Everett WA Districting Commission Final Districting Plan A-9 Final Report (002)
Click here to view public written comments submitted by the community
Public Comment Meeting 9.13.20 - NO COMMENT PROVIDED