A City of Everett business license is required for all persons engaging in business within the city limits of Everett. If you do business in Everett, you must have a current Everett business license and file Business and Occupation taxes.
- Starting a Business
- New Business Licenses
- Business License Renewal
- Regulatory Licenses
- Temporary Business License
- No-Fee Business Registration
First steps to starting a business in Everett:
Are you thinking of starting a business?
- Find help from Washington State's Small Business Guidance
Have you already started a new business, but haven't registered with the Department of Revenue?
- Your first step is to create a business structure and register with the Washington State Department of Revenue where you will obtain your Uniform Business Identifier, or commonly called a UBI number.
Do you already have your UBI number and are ready to begin business in Everett?
- Visit New Business Licenses above to find out about costs, how to file for an Everett license online and next steps.
Applying for a new business license in the City of Everett
For 2019, the cost to obtain a new business license is:
- $83.00: Starting business in Everett between January 1 through June 30
- $41.50: Starting business in Everett between July 1 through December 31
Apply online on or see below for Applications.
- Once your application is approved, you will get a copy of your Business License via email or mailed if no email address is provided.
- If your business start date was prior to the current quarter, you will be sent tax returns for previous reporting periods.
- If you are a third-party tax preparer, we will need to have a Tax Preparer Authorization (PDF) form on file as tax information can only be discussed with authorized individuals.
- Do you do business inside of your home? Please review the regulations for conducting a Home Occupation (PDF) business.
Business License Renewals
- Business license renewals are due with 4th Quarter tax forms (Due Jan. 31)
- Renewal fees will be noted on your tax form
- Please provide payment for taxes and license fee renewals with one check
- For businesses with more than one location inside the city limits of Everett, the renewal fees for all locations will be noted on your primary reporting location form
|By January 31 (due date)||None|
|In February (February 1-28)||10% of current renewal fee|
|After February||20% of current renewal fee|
For more information about paying your taxes visit our Business and Occupation tax page.
When do you need a Regulatory License?
Regulatory licenses are required for the following activities and businesses:
- Dance hall
- For-hire vehicles
- Garbage removal
- Hotel / Motel
- Massage Parlors, Body Painting and Public Bathhouses
- Mobile food unit
- Pawn broker
- Secondhand dealer
- Septic tank dumping
- Towing company
- Traffic Escort Service
To obtain a regulatory license, please contact the City Clerk's Office at 425-257-8610.
Additional information about regulatory business licenses can be found in Title 5 of the Everett Municipal Code.
Do you qualify for a temporary business license?
- Will you only be operating in Everett on a temporary one-time basis of no more than three (3) consecutive days in the current calendar year; AND
- Do you estimate your gross receipts to be under $5,000?
If you answered YES to both of these questions, apply for a temporary business license. There is no cost for a temporary business license.
If you answered NO to either question, please apply for a regular business license.
Do you qualify for an annual no-fee business registration?
Effective 2019: If you answer YES to both of these questions, you can register for a no-fee business license.
- Does your business reside outside the city limits of Everett? AND;
- Do you anticipate your gross proceeds of sales or gross income of the business in the city is equal to or less than $2,000
License Renewals: Please fill out our registration form to update your account to an annual no-fee business license.