City of Everett's lawsuit against Purdue Pharma
In January 2017, the City of Everett filed a civil lawsuit against Purdue Pharma for allowing OxyContin to be funneled through the black market, causing the current opioid crisis in Everett.
Update: On Monday, September 25, 2017, the Honorable Ricardo S. Martinez, the Chief United States District Judge for the Western District of Washington, issued his ruling (PDF) on Purdue's motion to dismiss the City's lawsuit, which denied in part and granted in part Purdue's motion. The Court ruled that the majority of Everett's claims can move forward as alleged, and the Court also granted the City an opportunity to amend its other claims. On October 25, 2017, the City of Everett filed its First Amended Complaint (PDF), which includes (among other things) additional allegations concerning the City of Everett's claim for public nuisance.
On November 29, 2017, Purdue filed its Answer to the First Amended Complaint (PDF).
On . 5, 2017, the Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation issued an Order (PDF) transferring more than 60 cases to the Northern District of Ohio. The City of Everett opposed transfer (PDF), however, the ruling by Judicial Panel on Multidistrict Litigation also includes transfer of the lawsuit filed by the City of Everett for pre-trial coordination with the other transferred cases.
Pursuant to the Order, the City of Everett, through its outside counsel (Kelley, Goldfarb, Huck, Roth & Riojas, PLLC), will continue to pursue its lawsuit in coordination with the other cases that were transferred to the Northern District of Ohio for pre-trial proceedings.
- Everett's Safe Streets plan
- Read the lawsuit (PDF)
- Read the City's Jan. 19 news release (PDF)
- View the City's May 18 opposition brief and declarations and exhibits (PDF).
- Heroin in Snohomish County: Mortality and Treatment Trends, 2015 (Snohomish Health District report)
- Opioid-Related Overdose Deaths, 1995-2014 (Snohomish Health District report)
- Watch: Mayor Stephanson announces planned lawsuit at Jan. 18 State of the City
- NowThis Reports: Facebook video
- Everett Herald: Everett ready to sue OxyContin maker over opioid deaths, crime
- LA Times: City devastated by OxyContin use sues Purdue Pharma, claims drugmaker put profits over citizens' welfare
- NBC News: OxyContin maker Purdue Pharma hit with unprecedented lawsuit by Washington City
- CBS Evening News: In the battle against opioids, one city blames drug makers
- NPR's Here & Now: Washington Town Sues OxyContin Maker, Claiming It Failed To Stop Illegal Sales
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation radio: Everett, WA sues pharmaceutical company for alleged role in opioid crisis
- Associated Press: City sues drugmaker for letting OxyContin flood black market
- Today Show: WA City sues OxyContin maker